Vice President Constantino Chiwenga has issued new lockdown measures following a wave of coronavirus cases which have overwhelmed hospitals.
The measures, which include a curfew, will go into effect on Tuesday.
1. Gatherings have been banned, except for funerals which are now limited to 30 people. Weddings, church services, restaurants and bars have been banned outright for 30 days.
2. Police to strictly enforce the wearing of face masks, social distancing and other Covid-19 preventative measures. Violators face arrest.
3. Only essential services will be allowed to operate between 8AM and 3PM.
4. Mining, manufacturing and agriculture to continue operations. All other businesses and informal traders are required to stop trading on Tuesday 5 January 2021, for 30 days.
5. Only essential services and commercial operators are allowed to travel between provinces. Intercity transport is restricted to essential service workers. .
6. Stay at home. No movement is permitted except to purchase food, medicines or to transport sick relatives.
7. Only examination classes to return to school.
8. Cross border traders banned.
9. Air travel permitted (Covid-19 free certificates required).