US Sanctions On Zimbabwe Are Not Illegal: Mahere
Firebrand opposition activist and constitutional lawyer Fadzayi Mahere has sought to correct the misconception that sanctions against Zimbabwe are illegal saying they are authorized by the American legislature.
Zanu PF yesterday came out guns blazing accusing the US government of perpetuating illegal sanctions but Mahere reminded the ruling party that the Trump administration is not forced by any domestic or international law to associate with Zimbabwe.
1. US sanctions against Zim aren’t illegal. They’re authorized by their legislature. They’re not forced by any domestic or international law to associate with Zim beyond what they’re comfortable with. Our opinions on this are irrelevant. If we want them lifted, must play ball.
2. If they’re serious about wanting the sanctions lifted, Govt must demonstrate a serious commitment to meeting the stated conditions. The US has no qualms with imposing sanctions for decades (see Cuba). Unless there’s reform, we’ll be singing the same tired tune in 20 years time.
3. Please stop roping in countries like South Africa to call for the lifting of sanctions. Their opinions on the imposition of the sanctions are just as irrelevant as our own. We must reform. There are no shortcuts. African 2-faced diplomacy won’t rescue us or our economic woes.
4. Calling the US names won’t help either. Diplomacy means we have to know whether we are buying or selling & exercise humility accordingly. If we weren’t affected by the sanctions, we wouldn’t be harping on about how terrible they are ad nauseam. Govt needs to change strategy.
5. Sanctions aside, the reform of the Zimbabwean state is a good thing for us all. It’s a pity that the people can’t compel Govt to change. We want reform regardless of whether sanctions have been imposed. The refusal to reform constitutes a sanction by the Govt on the people.
YOU MIGHT LIKE…
7 THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT MARRY CHIWENGA
Marry Chiwenga nee Mubaiwa is an ex-model and the wife of Vice President of Zimbabwe, Constantino Chiwenga who is a Retired Commander of the Zimbabwe Defense Forces.
Marry was born in 1983. She is the daughter of Kenny Mubaiwa, who is the Chairman of Dynamos Football Club. She is a mother of 6 children….more here
If you suspect you have COVID-19 infection or wish to obtain more information on this disease, please call the Ministry of Health and Child Care on toll-free hotline number 2019 for assistance +263714734593 or +263774112531