TODDLER DROWNS IN BUCKET | A Family in Mutare’s Palmerstone medium-density suburb was on Monday plunged into mourning after their 14-month-old baby drowned in a bucket.
Police confirmed the incident and said the late Brian Mandiabe of house number 11, Crisp Road, was left unattended when he drowned in a bucket full of water.“Brian’s body was found floating in a water bucket. He was taken to Murambi Clinic where he was pronounced dead,” said Manicaland provincial police spokesperson Inspector Tavhiringwa Kakohwa.
He appealed to members of the public to desist from leaving infants unattended and near water bodies. Police said Brian was playing with his elder brother aged five on September 11 when the incident happened.
He went inside and left Brian inside. After some minutes, the boy approached his mother asking for Brian’s whereabouts. His mother told him to look for him near a water tap. The brother saw Brian’s body floating in a bucket full of water.
“They rushed him to Murambi Clinic where he was pronounced dead upon arrival,” said Insp Kakohwa.
In an unrelated incident, a 40-year-old woman in Zimunya was on Sunday burnt beyond recognition after the thatched hut she was sleeping in caught fire.