Home LOCAL NEWS There will be no demolishing of houses: Councillor clears the air

There will be no demolishing of houses: Councillor clears the air

Eng Hosia Chisango

There will be no demolishing of houses: Councillor clears the air.

In an interview, Eng Chisango said the council was not going to demolish houses as alluded but wanted to ensure that the structures are formalised and appear on the city’s database. “We are talking about houses that have been built with plans that have not been approved by City of Harare. Those plans must be submitted to the city and inspections will be done on those properties,” he said.

Eng Hosia ChisangoHarare City Council is not demolishing residents’ mansions in Harare but wants to ensure that properties built illegally on designated housing land are regularised, Town Clerk Engineer Hosiah Chisango has said. The move is expected to give relief to thousands of homeowners who have been living in fear of bulldozers razing down their multi-million-dollar properties to the ground.

“This will benefit the people because once they formalise their stands, the council will give them certificates of ownership that will allow them to acquire title deeds for their properties.

“Regularising properties give security of tenure to homeowners. It also gives confidence to investors. We are not just regularising settlements. We are also massively licensing businesses and the informal sector. The idea is to give legitimacy to all those who want to operate legally in the city.”

He said the regularisation exercise was meant to correct developments already done before saying the city was now taking measures to avoid future land invasions and illegal settlements.

“We have strengthened our development control. There is need for controlling any fresh invasions.” The regularisation programme is expected to add to the number of registered properties in Harare. Eng Chisango said those who regularised their properties would start receiving services like any other Harare residents. “Acting city architect Mr Leonard Chirombo explained the regularisation process.

“You need to be allocated to a surveyed stand, the information is available from the surveyor’s office. You need proof of ownership of the land. You need that stand to be on an allocated piece of land which is approved in an approved town planning layout. Once the approved plan is available you are then free to apply for title for the development of that piece of land.”


5 Things You Probably DIDN’T KNOW About Nyasha Mushekwi’s Ex-Wife

Meet the lady of the hour, Luminitsa Dumbisa Jemwa, ex-wife to Warriors footballer Nyasha Mushekwi.

5 Things You Probably DIDN’T KNOW About Nyasha Mushekwi’s Ex Wife

Luminitsa has not only made waves for her curvaceous body which leaves most men drooling but she has been making waves for her relationship with former first lady Grace Mugabe’s son….more here

If you suspect you have COVID-19 infection or wish to obtain more information on this disease, please call the Ministry of Health and Child Care on toll-free hotline number 2019 for assistance +263714734593 or +263774112531