. . . relatives demand justice

A FORTY-YEAR-OLD Mt Darwin man whose throat was slit by unknown assailants over a debt row is no more.

Simbarashe Dzuda succumbed to the wound after battling to breathe and eat for days.

Dzuda was asleep when he was attacked before he was admitted at Karanda Hospital in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

On the fateful day, he had an altercation with a woman whom he was owing some money.

The incident occurred on Friday last week and following the altercation, he was threatened over his delay to pay back the money.

A police report was made under CR142/10/20 Mt Darwin Police station for attempted murder by unknown assailants and investigations are underway.

His family is demanding that the assailants be brought to book.

According to his sister Tinashe Gondongwe, she said:

“My brother died a painful death and we did not know it will get to this.

“We buried him on Sunday.

“Relatives still need to know who did this to our brother but how can someone kill over a debt.

“He was owing one of his clients some money.

“The debt is said to have been overdue and during the confrontations, the client warned him that he was taking advantage that the client was a woman.”

Added Tinashe:

“She then made a phone call and without much delay, two men arrived at the scene and they pushed Dzuda to pay back the debt.

“The men then promised to deal with Dzuda.

“What concerned witnesses was how they wanted to deal with him and how they were going to solve the issue.”

Tinashe said Dzuda made an effort to pay part of the money following the confrontation.

“On the same day he paid US$60 to the woman and promised to settle the remaining US$290 in a few days’ time.

“They even signed some affidavits for guarantee.

“Around midnight, the unknown men broke into his house and attacked him with the intention to kill.

“After the attack he crawled from his room before knocking at his tenant’s door but the tenant did not open instantly since it was an odd hour.

“She later noticed his voice and peeped only to see him naked.

“That is when other neighbours went out only to see him bloody and naked,” she added.

Prior to his death, Dzuda was on oxygen whilst breathing through a tube connected to his throat.