RBZ clarifies all lending suspended directive
The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) has written to banks clarifying a recent directive that suspended all lending in Zimbabwe. We present the central banks’ letter to banks:
To: Chief Executive Officers/ Managing Directors All Banking Institutions, Development Finance Institutions, Deposit-Taking and Credit Only microfinance Institutions
RE: NEW MEASURES TO RESTORE CONFIDENCE, PRESERVE VALUE AND RESTORE MACROECONOMIC STABILITY
1. We refer to the National Announcement of 7 May 2022, made by the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, His Excellency Dr. E. D. Mnangagwa, on Measures to Restore Confidence, Preserve Value and Restore Macroeconomic Stability, and the subsequent meeting of representatives of the banking sector with the Governor held on 9 May 2022.
2. We bring your attention to paragraph 40 of the Presidential Announcement on the suspension of lending by banking institutions, building societies, development finance institutions, deposit-taking and credit-only microfinance institutions to the Government and private sector. For the avoidance of doubt, this suspension relates to all lending, whether local currency or foreign currency, to Government and the private sector, including corporates, other legal entities and individuals.
3. We further confirm that no new credit facilities should be issued as the suspension covers new loans, undrawn portions of agreed facilities, overdrafts and other forms of borrowing instruments, by whatever name they are called.
4. With respect to pipeline transactions, where all the facility terms and conditions have been met before the above pronouncement, institutions may approach the Reserve Bank for consideration, on a case by case basis.
5. Please take note that the suspension of lending does not apply to offshore drawdowns.
6. The Reserve Bank will monitor compliance with the above directive and will take appropriate supervisory action against any non-compliant institutions.
7. We advise accordingly.
P. T. Madamombe Director, Bank Supervision
Source – Pindula News
Mukuru to sponsor Crystal Palace, Malawi’s Mighty Wanderers and rugby legend Mtawarira.
Mukuru will be a shirt sleeve sponsor of English Premier League side Crystal Palace for the 2022/23 season, while simultaneously stricking a naming rights deal for the top Malawi Super League Team, The Mighty Wanderers FC, and a sponsorship arrangement with South Africa legend Tendai “The Beast” Mtawarira.