MDC stalwart Theresa Makone is reportedly about to evict Douglas Mwonzora’s law firm from her premises in Westgate over non-payment of rentals.
According to the Herald, Mwonzora’s law firm, Mwonzora and Associates house their premises at Number 1307 Fern Crescent Westgate, Harare and Makone went to court to try and evict Mwonzora after they failed to settle a USD $1 500 debt.
Here are the facts that have been outlined by the Herald so far:
- In September last year, Ms Makone and Mwonzora entered into a one-year verbal lease agreement in respect to renting the former’s premises and agreed the former will pay $350 per month for using the premises
- They further agreed to review upwards the rental payable per month to the tune of US$500 from January 2021 per month.
- From August to October last year, the law firm accrued arrears amounting to US$1 500
- Mwonzora was then given a notice to vacate the premises, whose notice expired on October 31, 2020, but he remained in occupation of the property.
- Makone now wants Mwonzora to pay $500 holding damages on top of the $1500 debt and she wants the sheriff to force Mwonzora off the premises
Mwonzora, who was accused by Thokozani Khupe of abusing MDC Alliance funds before she cleared his name and then made the accusation once again on 27 December is yet to comment on the issue.