ZiMetro News has learned that City Parking will now charge parking fees in US dollars with those intending to pay in the local currency, the Zimbabwean dollar doing so at the week’s interbank prevailing rate.
According to a notice seen by ZiMetro News, the parking fees will be US$1 per hour for on-street parking or the equivalent in Zimbabwean dollars. This means the parking fees will increase every week for those paying in the local currency.
If City Park’s new charging system had come into effect last week those who intended to pay in Zimbabwean dollars would have paid ZWL$57.35 which is ZWL$6.39 lower than this week’s rate which is ZWL$63.74.
The interbank prevailing rate is determined by the forex auction system introduced by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ). The auction is held every Tuesday.
The full notice by City Parking:
PARKING TARIFF ADJUSTMENTS
1. THIS NOTICE SERVES TO INFORM THE MOTORING PUBLIC THAT THE PARKING TARIFF IN HARARE CBD HAS BEEN ADJUSTED AS FOLLOWS;
ON-STREET – USD$1 OR ZW$ EQUIVALENT AT PREVAILING INTER-BANK RATES
2. THE ADJUSTMENTS ARE WITH EFFECT FROM 2″ OF JULY 2020
3. DOWNLOAD OUR NEW MOBILE APP – ‘PARK ASSIST’ FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE FOR GREATER PARKING CONVENIENCE.
PLEASE PAY PARKING FEES TO AVOID INCONVENIENCES.
It is not clear if the City of Harare got approval from the Ministry of Local Government and National Housing led by July Moyo, to charge parking fees in United States dollars.
Last month City Parking doubled its parking fees. In the past City Parking categorised parking fees. It is not clear if US$1 per hour will apply to other categories such as contract parking off the street.
Trending On ZIMetro News. . .
- Blue Dam Claims Another Life!
- Popular Prophet Shoots Wife Dead In Public For Leaving Him
- “There will not be a Ndebele Kingdom in Zimbabwe” – Mnangagwa
- “It’s legal” – Govt speaks on Grobler’s eviction from farm