Home LOCAL NEWS Mentally ill Zim man murdered in SA hospital

Mentally ill Zim man murdered in SA hospital


Mentally ill Zim man murdered in SA hospital

When Solomon Shumbanhete drove 2500km from Harare, Zimbabwe, earlier this month to collect his mentally ill brother, Tapiwa Chipika, who had gone missing around Cape Town, he had every intention of taking him back home.


But three days after finding the 33-year-old wandering around near Stellenbosch and taking him to the Stellenbosch Provincial Hospital for treatment and medication, Chipika was dead.

The Klapmuts-based horse groomer, who had lived in South Africa for six years, was supposed to be receiving treatment for schizophrenia and an eating disorder, which friends claim manifested in December.

Chipika was admitted to the hospital on Sunday, March 11 – the day the brothers were supposed to drive back to Harare.

Shumbanhete said he had been informed by hospital staff that his brother would be kept overnight for treatment and observation at the hospital’s psychiatric ward and discharged the following day.

However, doctors then told him that Chipika was mentally unfit to travel and would need to be hospitalised longer.

By the Wednesday, Shumbanhete discovered his brother had died from what doctors said were “natural causes”.

It was only after family friends inspected the body at the hospital that they found strangulation marks on Chipika’s neck.

Family friend Priscilla Chidzonga said: “The nurses were actually surprised when we said Tapiwa was murdered. They were thinking we were just going to look at him and that’s it. But we checked everything. The room was a mess; you could tell something violent happened in that ward.”

Shumbanhete said he had found his starving brother clad only in shorts at the Klapmuts train station.

“At first he couldn’t even recognise me. We told him to sit down and I told him to put on his T-shirt and I gave him food which I bought for him,” he said.

He recalled how, when he had gone to the hospital to visit his brother during visiting hours on the day of his death, he was told he could not see him as he was asleep.

“I (insisted that) I just want to see his face and that he is there and I am not going to wake him up. The nurses refused and said they were not allowed to do so.”

At 8pm, he received a call from a friend informing him of Chipika’s death. The friend, Simbarashe Chidzonga, told him Chipika “had been killed”. The Weekend Argus has seen a video taken of Chipika at the hospital moments before his death.


Genius Kadungure aka Ginimbi was a popular Zimbabwean socialite and businessman.

He was also the founder and Chief Executive Officer of a gas company, Pioneer Gases which has interests in Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. He was also the owner of Dreams Nightlife Club...read more


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.