The Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe (ARTUZ) has made three demands to the government as schools reopen for the 2021 first term.
ARTUZ demands better salaries, a safe working environment, and state-funded education. Posting on Twitter, ARTUZ said:
Demand 1. Minimum USD 520 for teachers #NoToSlaveWages
2. Safe schools in face of COVID19 #SafeSchools
3. State-funded education #FeesMustFall Lets add our voices and #SaveOurEducationZw
The union also urged stakeholders to amplify its voice by signing the petition which contains the demands above. Said ARTUZ:
- Sign the #SaveOurEducationZw petition here or request a physical copy through whatsapp +27827295212
- Make a short video pledging support to the #SaveOurEducationZw campaign and reiterating our three key demands. Share the video on social media tagging ©ARTUZ_teachers and use #SaveOurEducationZw
- Capture a photo of yourself holding a placard capturing our three demands. Share the picture on social media tagging @ARTUZ_teachers and use #SaveOurEducationZw
- Leaders of organisations can take the pledge on behalf of their membership
In other news, Flamboyant church leader and socialite, Prophet Passion Java torched a storm on social media when he showed o tattoos engraved on his chest.
The tattoos are of an angel and Arabic writings on his two arms in a video in which he also parades an “armoury”.
Passion, who is not new to controversy, claimed the riffles were worth US$150 000.
The video attracted mixed feelings, with some accusing Passion of crossing the line while others justified his actions.
Zimbabwean lawyer Jairos Katsande said it was high time people should take action against Passion…Learn More