Home LOCAL NEWS Durban hospital closed down as 48 of its nurses test positive for...

Durban hospital closed down as 48 of its nurses test positive for coronavirus

Durban hospital closed down as 48 of its nurses test positive for coronavirus

Durban hospital closed down as 48 of its nurses test positive for coronavirus

The city of Durban’s St Augustine’s Hospital has been closed indefinitely after 66 people at the facility, who include 48 of its nurses, tested positive for the coronavirus.

Durban hospital closed down as 48 of its nurses test positive for coronavirus

Also, it emerged that five of the eight COVID-19 related deaths in the province stemmed from an outbreak at the private facility.

KZN health MEC Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu made the revelation on Wednesday evening during a media address alongside premier Sihle Zikalala.

Simelane-Zulu said the hospital would be closed to the public and only one ward would remain open. That ward will be used as a quarantine unit for the 48 nurses and 18 patients who have tested positive for COVID-19.

On Tuesday evening, health minister Zweli Mkhize made the startling announcement that 66 people had tested positive for the virus at the hospital. The figure included the 48 nurses.

Simelane-Zulu said that as of last week Wednesday, the government had taken the decision to close parts of the hospital in phases. No new patients had been admitted since then.

She said the next phase was to test every patient before allowing them to be discharged or moved to other facilities.

Zikalala said 74 patients remained at the hospital.

“All those in the facility are currently being tested in preparation for the next move regarding this hospital, which will come from either the minister of health or the MEC,” he said.

“At least 125 staff members have been tested at the hospital. These include nurses, cleaners and administrative personnel,” he said.

Zikalala said they had noted complaints by employees at the hospital regarding the shortage of safety gear – particularly the N95 masks that are manufactured in China – but this would form part of an in-depth independent investigation into the matter.

– NewZimbabwe

MORE ON ZIMETRO NEWS…

Zimbabwe Records Second COVID-19 Death – Ministry Of Health Coronavirus Update

Zimbabwe has recorded its second COVID-19 death following the death of a 79-year old Bulawayo man. The man died on Saturday, 4 April.

At the time of his death, however, his test COVID-19 status was yet to be known. His test results came out today, 7 April 2020, confirming he was…full details

Trending On ZIMetro News. . .

    Prophet Magaya Under Investigations Over Allegations Of S.ex.ual Abuse Of Females! Women Affairs minister Sithembiso Nyoni last week revealed that her ministry through the Zimbabwe Gender Commission (ZGC) investigated Prophetic Healing and Deliverance (PHD) Ministries leader Walther Magaya and several companies over allegations of se..xu.al abuse of females. Nyoni said this last week in the National Assembly while tabling ZGC annual reports for the years 2017 to...full details

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.