PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa says the country must continue to scale up COVID-19 preparations even though confirmed cases of the disease had remained low in the country at nine including one fatality.
In a televised address to the nation on Friday the President warned coronavirus would strike heavily if people ignored measures announced by World Health Organisation (WHO).
His fears were now the approaching winter season where experts say the virus thrives most and many people risk contracting the infection.
Infections on Friday reached a million globally with more than 52,000 deaths recorded raising fears the disease could infect and kill more in the near future.
“Preventive measures taken so far seem to be paying off. However the approaching winter season brings with it greater vulnerability. We cannot therefore afford to be deceived by the small numbers of infections but we must continue to scale up our preparations.
“We are not out of the hoods,” said President Mnangagwa.
He commended the people for respecting government’s three week “painful” lockdown.
“Only last week I directed a lockdown for our society for a period of 21 days. As your President, I am proud of the way you have responded to the lockdown except where it is absolutely necessary, we have stayed at home with your families. You have observed and voluntarily enforced social distancing and religiously followed routines of basic hygiene as recommended by the WHO.”
Zimbabweans have either cut social interactions or drastically reduced them to avert spreading of the virus.
“We are on the right path. Well done Zimbabweans. This, however, should not cause complacency among us but instead motivate us to do even more now and in future,” President said in his address.
COVID-19 has no cure and several vaccines are yet to be approved and tested on humans according to experts and this takes a long period.
People have been urged to religiously practice hygiene by washing hands with soap and clean water. – Zimbabwe Voice
YOU MAY LIKE…
“Man From Italy Roams Streets”, Snubs Isolation
A high-risk traveler is under investigation after reportedly disregarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) 21 days isolation period following his arrival from Italy last week.
The traveler (name supplied) is reported to have passed through Victoria Falls a week ago from Italy, a country which has recorded the highest number of coronavirus (COVID-19) fatalities in the world…full details
If you suspect you have COVID-19 infection or wish to obtain more information on this disease, please call the Ministry of Health and Child Care on toll-free hotline number 2019 for assistance +263714734593 or +263774112531