A Dark cloud engulfed the small town of Chegutu when a contract worker died after a trench that he and his colleagues were working in collapsed and buried him underneath some rubble.
Chegutu town clerk, Alex Mandigo, confirmed the incident. “I can confirm that one of our contract council employees lost his life when a trench they were working in collapsed and was buried underneath some rubble.
“I understand they were laying sewer pipes. “I heard that the trench was about 15meters deep,” said Mandigo.
He added. “I am on leave for the next two weeks. “You can get finer details of the incident from our chamber secretary Mr. Chikuruwo,” he said.
Council Chamber Secretary, Jacob Chikuruwo told H-Metro that the unfortunate incident happened on Friday morning. “These guys were digging a sewer trench and we were rehabilitating our sewer using an excavator. “It was when they were removing old asbestos pipes and replacing them with plastic pipes when the trench collapsed,” said Chikuruwo.
He said three of the workers managed to escape to safety.
“Vatatu vakakwanisa kutiza asi Lovemore haana kugona kubuda akabva atsimbirirwa nevhu,” he said. The deceased man’s relatives told H-Metro that their family was still shell-shocked and in a state of disbelief because of the untimely death of their brother Lovemore Chingeni.
He was 34. Lovemore’s elder brother Obert, 49, told H-Metro that the death of his young brother was a big blow to the family.
“Tarwadziwa zvisingati norufu rwaLovemore. “However, we believe there was an element of negligence from the employer. “I want to believe that council officials were reckless in handling the issue, as they did not react timeously to the accident,” said Obert.
He added. “Vanhu vakapinda vachida kubatsira vakadzingwa. “Vakapinda zvenharo vakasungwa nokuendwa navo kumapurisa, nyangwe havo vaive nechinangwa chokuti mwana abudiswe,” he said.
Obert said the incident happened in the morning at around 8 am. “The trench collapsed on him early in the morning.
“You can imagine, his other colleagues had to rush about 2km to the engineering department to seek help. “However, the council then came about three hours later and retrieved his body..”
“As a family, we believe that council was very negligent in not supplying their workers with protective clothing,” said Obert.
He revealed that the council was footing all the funeral expenses. “Council ndiyo irikuita zvose pakuvigwa kwaLovemore,” he said.
Josamu Chingeni, 33, the youngest brother in the family, told H-Metro that he was devastated by the death of his brother. “Tinonzwa kusurukirwa zvikuru nokurasikirwa kwataitwa nomukoma wangu.
‘We accept that it was an accident. “However, there are some aspects of negligence on the side of the council. “I understand these guys were working on their own without maximum supervision.
“Surely council was reckless with the life of our brother. “Even though council is doing everything in terms of the funeral expenses, these are all priceless.
“They cannot bring back the life of our beloved brother. “He was a young man with a bright future ahead of him. “He finished his university education at Midlands State University in 2009” said Josamu. He added. “He did a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel and Tourism.
“Mabasa haasi kuwanikwa, saka akangotiwo regal nditsvage zvinondipa pundutso kuti akwanise kurarama. “He was also a breadwinner.
A responsible father who was taking care of our widowed mother” said Josamu. He said that the late Lovemore left a deep wound that was not going to heal.
“He has left us a deep wound that will take ages to heal. “Ininiwo panditori handitoshanda. Mukoma makumbo avo atori nedambudziko.
“Saka hatisisina achatibatsira,” said Josamu. He said that the deceased had left a pregnant wife. “He has left a wife who is six months pregnant.
Even though, azoshaikira panzvimbo yakdaro because of the economic hardships bedevilling the nation.”
Also Read: THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT GINIMBI
Genius Kadungure aka Ginimbi was a popular Zimbabwean socialite and businessman.
He was also the founder and Chief Executive Officer of a gas company, Pioneer Gases which has interests in Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. He was also the owner of Dreams Nightlife Club...read more