Home LOCAL NEWS Council Vows To Continue With Demolitions

Council Vows To Continue With Demolitions

Mbare Residents Happy With Demolitions – Council

Council Vows To Continue With Demolitions

City of Harare has vowed to continue demolishing illegal structures around the city in spite of a court order barring it from doing so.

On Saturday council workers backed by members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) razed stalls belonging to informal traders in Mbare.

Illegal structures around Mupedzanhamo, Magaba Home Industry, Shawasha and Matapi Flats were all demolished.

Harare City Council spokesperson Michael Chideme told The Sunday Mail that traders should relocate to designated areas in residential areas. Said Chideme:

We assisted some traders in Mbare to remove their illegal structures today and the exercise will continue.

We will continue to assist them in all suburbs to remove their structures and they should go to the designated trading sites. All suburbs have empty spaces right now.

Last week the High Court issued an order barring the city authorities from continuing the destructions after the informal traders through their lawyers approached the courts seeking protection.

The High Court order also protects informal traders in Chitungwiza where the local council was destroying traders’ stalls.

Source | The Sunday Mail

In other news, South African Soldiers Shot Near Zimbabwean Border

South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers were shot at by three suspects while on patrol near the Zimbabwean border.

South African Soldiers Shot Near Zimbabwean Border

SANDF managed to arrest one of the suspects and handed them over to the South African Police Service (SAPS).

Soldiers were reportedly conducting routine foot patrols near…Learn More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.